Monday 20 May 2013

WHITEHORSE URBAN HARVEST

I have been looking for a local food swap for some time now and have finally found a couple in my area. I am hoping to frequent these and share my excess produce and gain some variety and knowledge while I do so! The Whitehorse urban harvest is held on the third Saturday of the month from 10 am - 12 pm, and despite the rain and cold there was a great turnout with sensational variety and lovely welcoming people who were willing to share their gardening wisdom! All produce that is brought is weighed in to record how much has been swapped and to prove to local council that this is a worthwhile event as the event is held at a local councils property. I cannot wait for next month's swap!

The goodies I took along.  A few chunks of cinderella pumpkin, some pieces of a maltese long marrow, bay leaves, dried chili and broad bean seeds 
Produce is first weighed and then laid out on a table and you are free to take what you like. 
I got some beautiful honey from a home apiary.
Some lovely limes
And some kaffir lime leaves
Persimmons (I have only tried these one and they were under ripe therefore they left a terrible furry sensation in my mouth. I have never been game to try them again. This time I will wait until they are fully ripe to indulge!)
And some plants for my garden. The far left is chilean guava the other potted one is cape gooseberry and the last is a flowering plant.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment :D